Sunday, August 20, 2023

Dreamy Red Silk Shawl - Free Crochet Pattern

For anyone who has yet to try crocheting with silk - I strongly suggest you try - like right now ๐Ÿ˜





I've just finished the South Bay Shawlette (It's a free pattern!) using this gorgeous red silk yarn I got from Weaving Yarn (supplier in Wales), which was an absolute pleasure to crochet with.  So smooth to touch and it has this subtle sheen that looks so beautiful under lights:





I used the whole cone (100g) in True Red (no.40) and the shawl all the way down to my lower back (I'm about 5ft1 ish).  The pattern is by Lion Brand called South Bay Shawlette which recommends a silk mohair blend but I thought the silk would make the little flower pattern more defined, so you can see them more clearly.  




The drape on this is lovely.  As you can see in the video it's super soft, but retains the definition of the stitches nicely after blocking.  

Blocking on my bed - the largest flatish surface!

I've been on the look out for a silk yarn to crochet for a while, but never managed to find one that isn't too pricey.  Weaving Yarn has an amazing range of yarns in cotton, silk, tencel etc. And because the yarn is geared to weavers, there is big range of colours and the yarn is sold in large cones that is perfect for bigger projects like shawls/tops/boleros. 

Project details: 

Crochet Hook Size  - 3mm (JP size 5, UK size 11)
Yarn                         - 100% silk yarn in True Red
Pattern                     - South Bay Shawlette 
















No comments:

Post a Comment

Daisy in the Corner Crochet Cushion - link to video tutorial

Can you spot the cat? :)  Mercerized cotton is the BEST yarn for cushions.  That added sheen and protection means the stitches do not pile o...