Saturday, December 31, 2016

Tsum Tsum Origami - Japanese Book Review

Origami (aka messing about with paper) has got to be my cheapest obsession so far.

SUMMARY
50 Disney Tsum Tsum characters (includes princesses) origami instructions
Includes ideas of making them into framed art-work
Not super difficult but requires some skill for neat finish
Took me about half an hour to do the alien.
Need to use very good quality paper otherwise result not as neat and cute as the book.

BOOK
Let's Make Popular Disney Tsum Tsum Characters by Origami - Published by Boutique Japan

Tsum Tsum Origami
This project pretty much sold me on the spot.



WHAT I MADE
Instructions are relatively easy.  The head is made with one piece of green paper.  The little hands need a 1/4 piece of green, plus 3 white circles for eyes with black pupils drawn on.  This would have been more difficult except I have a fab circles stencil ruler.

Only this close-up do I realise how battered my desk is! 
The instructions suggested the sharper angle on the chin, so I made some like this and some with the 'plumper' face shape.

Then it was folding... folding... folding...

Big papa alien is a kind and hands-on father

Closest thing I have to a single colour backdrop was blue.  So eye-glaring green on blue it was!




I had an IKEA frame lying around so into that the aliens went.  The hardest part of the whole assembly was fixing the little aliens in some semblance of disorder so the effect would be little aliens tumbling onto the big one.  Not sure I did that very well since I got anal and put them all in neatly non-overlapping positions.  If I make another one of these (with a difference character of course), I might actually throw them together for a more natural effect.


Cat wasn't too sure about it but then relaxed and rubbed his face all over it and claimed it as Cat-owned. 
 This was kinda addictive.  I'm tempted to try him next:

WHAT I LOVED ABOUT THE BOOK
The characters are really cute and they do look like the tsum tsum in that line game that I'm addicted to.  This is also the cheapest hobby ever. Just need paper.

BEAR IN MIND THOUGH...
Instructions aren't complicated but I did find some of the smaller folds difficult.  Plus I'm in Singapore in sweltering heat so my hands got clammy and the paper got clammy too.

VERDICT 
Fun. Not too difficult. Turn the air-con on though before attempting.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Daisy in the Corner Crochet Cushion - link to video tutorial

Can you spot the cat? :)  Mercerized cotton is the BEST yarn for cushions.  That added sheen and protection means the stitches do not pile o...